Wednesday, 18 May 2011

Fake noise on electric cars?

I have my reservations about electric cars and I question their overall impact (if any!) in reducing energy consumption and emissions. Regardless of what I think, electric cars are slowly gaining acceptance in the public, and the newer cars like the Nissan Leaf or the Tesla are a far, far cry from older players like the G-Wiz (trust me, it's a horrendous car and it's not worth a google) and networks of rapid charging stations are being built in preparation for widespread usage of electric cars.

That's not the point of the post however. One thing that electric cars do reduce is noise but is it really an enviromental benefit? There is concern that these cars are so silent, pedestrians might not hear them coming! So should electric cars go vroom?

If you watched the Tesla video I linked, I sort of agree with Clarkson. Put on a CD/MP3 of a V8 noises and we're sorted!

24 comments:

  1. I think that electric cars need to be considered for a sustainable future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i like the water powered cars by GM wonder what happened to those

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha hilarious man thats a good idea

    ReplyDelete
  4. i agree, cars too silent are a real threat to pedestrians

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't believe silent cars are much of an issue. I mean, you're supposed to look around before crossing! Cities are noisy as it is, a little less car noise will do wonders.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cars have horns for a reason. Creating fake noise is kind of stupid, but will probably happen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I dunno, I watched the video and it's not like it's QUIET. Just a different noise. Slightly offtopic: damn the Tesla car is a sexy beast :3

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do hate noisy cars though, maybe it is a good thing :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. Electric cars will not be cheap but it's guaranteed that we will extend Earth's life.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Its just like laser sounds in Star Wars - impossible yet cool :P

    ReplyDelete
  11. if it's fake I dont want it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I also watched the top gear episode, totally agree with clarkson, this kind of vehicles dont work in real world

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ahh.. electric cars run on electricity generated with fossil fuels, and the batteries are super damaging to the environment.

    Something more sustainable must be found.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A noiseless highway would be awesome - noise pollution sucks!

    I don't think electric cars will have much of an impact on oil consumption, until electric companies fully embrace alternative energy sources; solar, hydro power, thermal power.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good post. I would rather normal cars than electric ones.

    ReplyDelete
  16. lol v8 noises save lives, but your right I've never seen someone get hit with a harley davidson before :P

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just watched a movie that had electric engine noise's generating from it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I prefer my turboed car. nothing like feeling a turbo spool.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I do listen for cars before I look for them. this is a serious issue.

    ReplyDelete
  20. fake noise is a little silly. Why not get a real car that makes real noise?

    ReplyDelete
  21. I was really hoping for a better punchline

    ReplyDelete