Monday, 16 May 2011

Freedom to learn, for free!

It doesn't matter if you're rich or poor, a university student or a secondary school dropout, white, black, Asian or orange, everybody deserves access to the diverse knowledge in the world. If you're a uni student like me you'll find these sites very resourceful. Even if you're not a uni student or graduate, then congratulations! The only fee you have to pay is the willingness to learn (trust me, it's miles better than having financial liabilities when you're barely at a quarter of your expected lifetime).

MIT OpenCourseWare - it's part of the OCW consortium and it's a massive collection of previous course materials taught at MIT. The learning resources are a bit sporadic though, and it ranges from partial lecture notes to full recorded lectures and textbooks, and the latter amount is not uncommon for "bricks and mortar" disciplines like mathematics and computer science.

Academic Earth - this site holds a collection of lectures and course materials from some of the top universities in the world, including Harvard, Yale and Oxford on a wide range of courses.

Open Culture - this blog has some a very extensive collection of free podcasts, ebooks and textbooks on various topics. If you're a documentary nut, you'll love the movie section. (John Wayne fans will love it too)

Well, hopefully at this point you don't feel overwhelmed and these will keep your summer pretty much occupied. Stay frosty!

22 comments:

  1. well thanks alot, im in the last part of my 12th grade right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love sites like these. I've been browning one called Khan Academy for a while now, just picking up bits and pieces here and there in subjects that tickle my fancy. Heres a link if you're interested. http://www.khanacademy.org/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah you can use them to put something extra in your own works at university and show off in front of girls with my brand new MIT notes :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are awesome. The internet's really opened the way for information in a way that's never been done before.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks alot man, alot of interesting stuff. I actually enjoyed reading this, keep up the work please ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. All very interesting stuff right here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These sites are very useful, I like learning college stuff to get me ready for next year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A lot of what I've learned is from the internet and not the University that I attended. From Business to Computer Science, the internet holds the wealth of information that I need.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Man I've been reading some great blogs today, maybe I should get off my butt and actually attend one of those sites...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd like to get a masters from the mit, i put my kidney on craiglist

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wish I had known this before going off to college...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bookmarked! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nice post! I need to brush up on my math & basic biology in prep for this fall, & this sounds way easier than going to the library!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very informative, thanks for the post and keep bringing us more good reads!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That MIT link is the shit
    IMA get mad smart off that shit

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lot's of reading materia. Now to find the time. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  17. iTunes U also has many free podcasts aimed atuniversity students.

    ReplyDelete